On behalf of the Connecticut State Medical Society, best wishes for a very happy and healthy holiday season.
I want to thank you for your membership in CSMS. With your support, CSMS was able to serve as a strong advocate for Connecticut physicians and patients in 2016. Among this year’s important achievements, CSMS successfully:
- Strengthened network adequacy protections for physicians and patients
- Established reasonable non-compete agreements that don’t impede physician practice
- Hosted a public forum on prescription drug pricing with the State Comptroller
- Blocked bills from the trial lawyers which would have worsened our state’s already-bad liability climate
- Worked with US Representative Rosa DeLauro, US Senator Richard Blumenthal, and other members of the Connecticut Congressional Delegation to address the opioid epidemic, and hosted the Director of the White House Office of Drug Control Policy for a meeting with front-line physicians.
CSMS will celebrate its 225th year in 2017. Our founding physicians undoubtedly would be amazed by the breadth and depth of modern medical knowledge.
At the same time, they would feel right at home, and most pleased, knowing that the CSMS and all of its physician members remain focused on the fundamental principles of the medical profession of patient care.
Again, thank you for your membership. I look forward to working with you as we face the challenges and opportunities of 2017.
Jeffrey A. Gordon, MD
Connecticut State Medical Society