HUGE Step Forward on High Deductible Health Plan Fight!
We’re thrilled that our tireless efforts to get the legislature to address HDHPs paid off. The budget includes the establishment of a task force, as specially requested by our HDHP coalition, to study high deductible health plans. The task force will include members of CSMS, Connecticut College of Emergency Physicians (CCEP) and other physicians, and will be convened by the Healthcare Advocate, reporting its findings before the next session.
CSMS, CCEP, and many specialty and county medical associations were involved in this campaign, proving that organized medicine is effective and powerful! Connecticut is the first state in the nation to accomplish this level of success, and we are sure to be a model for others looking to take on HDHPs.
Mental Health Parity Bill Unanimously Passes in the House & Senate
CSMS advocated heavily in favor of the mental health and substance use disorder parity bill (HB 7125 AN ACT CONCERNING MENTAL HEALTH AND SUBSTANCE USE DISORDER BENEFITS). This legislation ensures that those with mental health and substance use disorders receive the same access to care as those with other chronic diseases. We’re proud to champion equal treatment and mental health parity for all in Connecticut!
Opioid Task Force Success
CSMS was an integral part of a task force that developed key objectives outlined in HB 7159 (AN ACT ADDRESSING OPIOID USE). Major components include: requiring hospitals to conduct a mental health assessment for every nonfatal overdose patient, not allowing life insurance companies to deny someone coverage because of a naloxone prescription, and training employees and students of higher education establishments on rapid deployment of opioid antagonists.
Key Public Health Victories
- HB 5521 AN ACT EXPANDING REQUIRED HEALTH INSURANCE COVERAGE FOR PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS.
- HB 6916 AN ACT ESTABLISHING A TASK FORCE TO STUDY REMEDIES AND POTENTIAL LIABILITY FOR UNREASONABLY CONTESTED OR DELAYED WORKERS’ COMPENSATION CLAIMS.
- SB 922 AN ACT ALLOWING STUDENTS TO APPLY SUNSCREEN PRIOR TO ENGAGING IN OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES.
- HB 7200 AN ACT PROHIBITING THE SALE OF CIGARETTES, TOBACCO PRODUCTS, ELECTRONIC NICOTINE DELIVERY SYSTEMS AND VAPOR PRODUCTS TO PERSONS UNDER AGE TWENTY-ONE.
- HB 6544 AN ACT CONCERNING THE PRACTICE OF NATUROPATHY.
- SB 966 AN ACT CONCERNING THE PRESCRIPTIVE AUTHORITY OF PSYCHOLOGISTS.
More legislative updates will be shared in the June/July edition of Action News that will appear in Connecticut Medicine.