In accordance with Section 4009 of H.R. 34-21st Century Cures Act (Public Law No: 114-255), CMS is updating the “Medicare Program Integrity Manual” with detailed changes to the LCD process. These changes were communicated in CMS Transmittal 863, issued on 2/12/2019.
Please be aware of the LCD revisions and transition of all coding to related articles. There has been no change in coverage associated with this update.
- All coding information, will be removed from the LCDs and placed in a related billing and coding article, including national coverage provisions, and associated information (documentation requirements, utilization guidelines).
- The article name will begin with “Billing and Coding,” followed by the title of the associated LCD.
- Bill types, revenue codes, CPT/HCPCS codes, ICD-10 codes, as well as any coding guidance or mention of codes in the LCD will now be found in the associated billing and coding article.
- Several LCDs will be revised for 8/1/2019 publication. The remaining LCDs will be revised in the coming months, with all completed by 1/1/2020.
- Billing and coding articles will be listed on the Medical Policy Center page alongside the related LCD.